Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Chili Burgers

Occasionally, I have a debate in my head about my favorite kind of bean. The winner is often whatever bean I am eating or cooking with, though I do think my all-time favorite is probably black beans. But these burgers make a good case for dark red kidney beans. My fear with bean burgers is that they won't stick together, but these did a decent job considering that there is no egg or anything used. The oats do a fine job as a binder, and the mustard and ketchup keep the burger moist. For some reason, this burger reminded me of meatloaf, if it were vegetarian and in burger-form. And that's a good thing, flavorful but not spicy. I served this topped with cheddar cheese and greens.

Chili Burgers

Ingredients
1/2 yellow onion, minced
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 carrots, shredded
1 tsp. dark mexican chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 15 oz. can dark red kidney beans, drained
1 tbsp. dark brown mustard
2 tbsp. worchestershire sauce
2 tbsp. ketchup
1/2 c. quick cooking oats

Preparation

Heat a large skillet over medium low. Spray with nonstick spray, saute onion, garlic and carrots for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
While veggies cook, drain beans, and add to a bowl. Mash with a potato masher.
Add mustard, worchestershire, ketchup, chili powder, cumin and oats.
Scrape veggies out of pan, add to bean mixture.
Mix burgers thoroughly, form into 4 patties.
Heat same skillet over medium-high. Spray with nonstick spray.
Drop patties into skillet, cook for 5-6 minutes per side.
After flipping, add cheese, cover to melt.
Serve on a bun with condiments.

Nutritional Information
serving size: 1 patty
Calories: 274.1
Total Fat: 1.7 g
Total Carbs: 51.1 g
Dietary Fiber: 17.1 g
Protein: 14.3 g

2 comments:

Ashlee said...

I absolutely love these burgers, the Moosewood cookbooks are so full of great bean recipes! I recently found out one of the Moosewood chefs was here doing a demo recently, and I'm so bummed I mised it. And now I always use ground oats in place of breadcrumbs in my cooking.

Evelyn said...

I'd say my bean allegiance has to be with chickpeas, although black beans make a good case for themselves.