Monday, March 29, 2010

Breakfast Couscous

Most mornings I eat oatmeal, but when the weekend comes around, I like to cook up something a little different, something that doesn't have to be gulped down before jumping in the car to run to school. But the weekend I made this, my impetus for big breakfasts (Joe) was working, and I was busy at church. Making this on Saturday and portioning it into individual containers made it super-easy to get a non-oatmeal tasty, filling weekend breakfast before I preached on Sunday morning. And I had two leftover portions to eat throughout the week. The flavors are nothing earth-shattering, but eating couscous for breakfast makes it a little more exciting.

Breakfast Couscous
Yields 3 servings

Ingredients
1 1/4 cups water
1/2 cup nonfat dry milk
1/2 cup uncooked couscous (
I used whole wheat couscous)
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup raisins (or whatever 1/2 cup combination of dried fruit you have around)
1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt

Preparation
Bring water to a boil in a small saucepan; stir in milk and remaining ingredients. Remove from heat. Cover; let stand 10 minutes. (Mixture will thicken as it cools.)

Nutritional Information
Calories: 305; Fat: 6.9g (sat 0.7g,mono 1g,poly 4.8g); Protein: 9.6g; Carbohydrate: 53.7g; Fiber: 3.3g; Cholesterol: 2mg; Iron: 1.1mg; Sodium: 169mg; Calcium: 174mg

3 comments:

SoundsLikeCanada said...

I love this idea! I also tend to eat oatmeal most weekday mornings, though I've been thinking of making breakfast quinoa recently.

ErinsFoodFiles said...

Tasty! I need to make that again.

Anonymous said...

I recently made this as well, but added a splash of vanilla extract. The vanilla really complimented all of the flavors and was delicious!