Saturday, November 8, 2008

White Bean Chicken Chili

My best friend Abby and her boyfriend John arrived in Nashville on Wednesday night for a conference, and I thought this meal would be the perfect balance of welcoming and not requiring too much time in the kitchen. Had my oven been working, I would've made some bread or rolls to sop up some of the broth.

This was much more flavorful than I expected, and the chicken stayed moist and juicy. Topped with paprika and cilantro, it even seemed fancier than it actually was!

White Bean Chicken Chili
source: Annie's Eats

Ingredients

1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into ½ -inch cubes

1 medium onion, chopped

1 ½ tsp. garlic powder

1 tbsp. oil

2 (15.5 oz) cans Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed (I used white kidney beans.)

1 (14.5 oz) can chicken broth

2 (4 oz.) cans diced green chiles

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. cumin

1 tsp. dried oregano

½ tsp. pepper

¼ tsp. cayenne pepper

1 cup reduced fat sour cream (I opened my sour cream, and it was moldy, so I subbed plain yogurt.)

½ cup whipping cream

fresh cilantro and paprika, for garnish

Directions:

In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, sauté chicken, onion and garlic powder in oil until chicken is no longer pink. Add beans, broth, chiles and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer; let simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the sour cream and whipping cream. Sprinkle with paprika and top with fresh cilantro for garnish, if desired.

4 comments:

Kayte said...

yummm!!! this looks and sounds amazing.

Maryanna said...

That looks awesome. I love white chili.

That Girl said...

You know my love of chili, and yet I've never had white chili

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad it was a hit!