Friday, October 2, 2009

White Bean Turkey Chili


October is my favorite month. It's my birthday month and the real beginning of fall. What better way to celebrate the beginning of October than with chili! I enjoyed this chili very much. It's basically lean protein and vegetables, so I felt pretty good about the health factor, and the beer added a lot of flavor. It's not too spicy and the flavor overall is very balanced and subtle. I might add another teaspoon of chili powder in there next time. Serve with avocado, sour cream, and cheese.

White Bean Chicken Chili
source: Lime in the Coconut

Ingredients
1 small onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 red pepper, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
pinch of cardamom
pinch of allspice
1 tsp olive oil
1 lb ground turkey meat
1 can white beans, drained and rinsed
1 can of fire roasted diced tomatoes
1/2 bottle of beer
salt and pepper

Preparation
In a soup pot or dutch oven, pour in your olive oil along with your diced veggies and garlic. Saute until tender. Add your spices and chicken meat. Cook until meat is well browned.
Add in your beans, tomatoes and beer. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Turn down to a simmer and let it stew for 30 minutes on low heat. If it's too runny you can add a little cornstarch or tomato paste to thicken it up. Once ready, serve in bowls and top with garnish.

9 comments:

Kerstin said...

What a flavorful and comforting dinner, it looks delicious! I've been meaning to make chicken chili for awhile now!

Cate said...

I drink a lot of beer, and I know people always swear by making chili with it, but I've still never tried it. This looks hearty, healthy, and really, really good!

That Girl said...

There is NOTHING better for fall than chili!

Lisa said...

Glad you liked it!! It looks like it turned out great.

Lisa said...

Glad you liked it!! It looks like it turned out great.

SoundsLikeCanada said...

Beer in chili is SO good. And I love me some October, too. I think we may have this next week.

ErinsFoodFiles said...

Soup is great, and this looks super great! Nice to see you scored an avocado. ;)

Colleen said...

October is my husband's favorite month too! (his birthday is Halloween and he thinks it's just great all-around) We love chili in my house and I have yet to find a good white bean one - I will be trying this out!

The Jesse said...

this recipe is sooo good! thanks for posting :)