Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Sweet Chili Glazed and Walnut Encrusted Catfish

Sometimes, I make dishes that don't turn out that great, and it is entirely my fault. I chose to bake these fillets instead of pan-frying them and tried to save time by coating the catfish in the morning before I went to work. This meant that the crust that should've been crunchy and delicious was soggy and a little weird. Moral of the story: don't be like me. But the walnuts still added a great flavor and would be even better toasted. I also wish there had been more of the glaze. Next time I might double that. I didn't get as much sweet chili flavor as I had hoped.

Sweet Chili Glazed and Walnut Encrusted Catfish
adapted from Picky Palate

Ingredients

3 Tablespoons honey
¼ teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon warm water
¾ Cup Panko Bread Crumbs
½ Cup ground walnuts (use food processor to grind)
½ teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon chili powder
¼ teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
4 catfish fillets (or tilapia or other mild white fish)
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

Preparation
1. Place the honey, chili powder and warm water in a small bowl; mix to combine. Place crumbs, walnuts, salt, chili powder and pepper into a shallow dish; mix to combine. Season both sides of tilapia fillets with pinches of salt and pepper. With a pastry brush, brush honey glaze on both sides of tilapia then press into crumb mix. Continue until all fillets are coated.

2. Heat oil into a large skillet over medium heat. When hot place coated tilapia fillets into skillet; cook 2-4 minutes per side, until golden brown and fish flakes easy with a fork. Remove and serve warm.

3 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Mmm - I love fish of all kinds and this looks especially good with that great crust!

That Girl said...

Maybe it would have been less soggy if you breaded it right before throwing it in the oven? This sounds like something that could be easily fixed!

Bird On A Line said...

Drool. I'm hungry!