Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Slow-Cooker Chicken Taco Stew

This meal is very similar to Slow-Cooker Salsa Chicken, but I think I like this better. Look at all those healthy legumes and vegetables! I would've preferred this to be a little more liquidy, which might be my fault because I drained and rinsed the beans. Next time I might add some chicken broth or beer. Topped with a little cheese and low-fat sour cream, this is a great meal.

Slow-Cooker Chicken Taco Stew
source: Spark Recipes

Ingredients
1 onion, chopped
1 16-oz can black beans
1 16-oz can kidney beans
1 16-oz can corn (drained)
1 8-oz can tomato sauce
2 14.5-oz cans diced tomatoes w/chiles (I used one can with green chiles and one with chipotle chiles.)
1 1.25-oz packet taco seasoning
1-2 boneless skinless chicken breasts

Mix everything together in a slow cooker except chicken. Lay chicken on top and cover. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. 30 minutes before serving, remove chicken and shred. Return chicken to slow cooker and stir in. This is good eaten with cheese, sour cream, or tortilla chips.

3 comments:

Carrie said...

This looks yummy!

Cate said...

Mmm. I love using my slow cooker in the fall! This looks like a winner!

Colleen said...

I make something just like this and LOVE it for lunch at work! Yours looks great!