Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Blueberry Pancakes

Growing up, we usually had pancakes made from Bisquick, so I always thought that making pancakes would be hard enough to require a shortcut like Bisquick. Little did I know they are actually pretty easy.

Joe has the day off today, and I don't work until noon, so I thought I would make a special breakfast for the two of us. I had some blueberries that I needed to use and decided I would try some blueberry pancakes. I lugged out my trusty Joy of Cooking and got to work. I mixed the dry ingredients yesterday so all I had to do was add the wet ingredients. This was also the maiden voyage of our fancy new George Foreman grill. I laid the bottom plate flat and used the griddle plate. Joe is very excited about the food blog and decorated the serving plate with strawberries so the picture would look pretty.



Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 3/4 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3 tbsp butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- (1/2 tsp vanilla extract) (I omitted this optional ingredient because I'm lazy.)
- (I added 3/4 cup of fresh blueberries)

Instructions:
- Whisk dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Combine milk, butter, eggs, and vanilla extract (and blueberries!) in another bowl.
- Mix the liquid ingredients quickly into the dry ingredients.
- Cook like pancakes (My words. Joy of Cooking has a two page explanation of how to cook a pancake.)

I kept the pancakes on this fancy oven-proof serving plate in a 200-degree oven until I had cooked all the batter. Joe and I loved these. We served them with Country Crock light, Lite syrup, and coffee. They were so much better than our previous discus-like pancakes that we had attempted with Bisquick. Next time I will attempt waffles with the new fancy George Foreman.

recipe from Joy of Cooking, 75th anniversary edition

3 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Looks great! And glad to have you join the blogging community!

Anonymous said...

I am the guilty mother who used Bisquick. Oh wait, it was my husband who did the pancakes! Congrats on moving to "from scratch". They look beautiful.

Anonymous said...

these look so good! would be fantastic after an evening of good beer. yum!