Monday, July 12, 2010

Cold-Brewed Iced Coffee



Considering that I'm a graduate student, I'm actually not that big of a coffee drinker. Too much caffeine makes me jittery and scatter-brained, not so good when I'm trying to follow complicated theological arguments. But iced coffee in the summer is a different story. It's refreshing and cooling without that bitterness that some hot coffee can produce. I like it so much, that I'm going to have to start making this from decaf coffee because I want to drink it all day long. I pour in a splash of milk, a tablespoon of sugar-free hazelnut syrup, and shake it all up in a Mason jar. The recipe can be easily multiplied. I usually make 4 jars of the coffee concentrate at a time and just strain and store in the refrigerator.

Cold-Brewed Iced Coffee
source: New York Times
Yields 2 drinks

Ingredients
1/3 cup medium-coarse ground coffee
1 1/2 cups water

Preparation
In a jar, stir together coffee and water. Cover and let rest at room temperature overnight or 12 hours. Strain twice through a coffee filter, a fine-mesh sieve or a sieve lined with cheesecloth. In a tall glass filled with ice, mix equal parts coffee concentrate and water, or to taste. If desired, add milk.

4 comments:

SoundsLikeCanada said...

So THAT'S how you've been making it. Sounds really good! I would definitely have to make it caffeine free, too.

Also, sugar-free hazelnut syrup? Please tell me that's not from Trader Joe's, because I really want to buy some.

Kira said...

Abby, the syrup is from World Market, but we also found some at the grocery store near the coffee.

Tori said...

I am a huge fan of cold brew coffee. If you want to make more than two cups worth, I would highly suggest the Toddy Coffee Maker - it's basically your method but for a whole bag of coffee, it has a filter and a caraf. One batch generally lasts me three weeks. http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=toddy+coffee&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=14070086930652159055&ei=NXY8TOehEsWAlAepuOz-Ag&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CD4Q8wIwAg#
Thanks for the post! I love your blog!

SolveMyGirlProblems.com said...

Add Vanilla extract and it'll taste ever better