Monday, July 12, 2010

Cold-Brewed Iced Coffee



Considering that I'm a graduate student, I'm actually not that big of a coffee drinker. Too much caffeine makes me jittery and scatter-brained, not so good when I'm trying to follow complicated theological arguments. But iced coffee in the summer is a different story. It's refreshing and cooling without that bitterness that some hot coffee can produce. I like it so much, that I'm going to have to start making this from decaf coffee because I want to drink it all day long. I pour in a splash of milk, a tablespoon of sugar-free hazelnut syrup, and shake it all up in a Mason jar. The recipe can be easily multiplied. I usually make 4 jars of the coffee concentrate at a time and just strain and store in the refrigerator.

Cold-Brewed Iced Coffee
source: New York Times
Yields 2 drinks

Ingredients
1/3 cup medium-coarse ground coffee
1 1/2 cups water

Preparation
In a jar, stir together coffee and water. Cover and let rest at room temperature overnight or 12 hours. Strain twice through a coffee filter, a fine-mesh sieve or a sieve lined with cheesecloth. In a tall glass filled with ice, mix equal parts coffee concentrate and water, or to taste. If desired, add milk.

5 comments:

ashupe said...

So THAT'S how you've been making it. Sounds really good! I would definitely have to make it caffeine free, too.

Also, sugar-free hazelnut syrup? Please tell me that's not from Trader Joe's, because I really want to buy some.

Kira said...

Abby, the syrup is from World Market, but we also found some at the grocery store near the coffee.

Tori said...

I am a huge fan of cold brew coffee. If you want to make more than two cups worth, I would highly suggest the Toddy Coffee Maker - it's basically your method but for a whole bag of coffee, it has a filter and a caraf. One batch generally lasts me three weeks. http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=toddy+coffee&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=14070086930652159055&ei=NXY8TOehEsWAlAepuOz-Ag&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CD4Q8wIwAg#
Thanks for the post! I love your blog!

SolveMyGirlProblems.com said...

Add Vanilla extract and it'll taste ever better

vincent said...

Hello,


We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.

Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

Vincent
petitchef.com