Wednesday, December 3, 2008

La Bamba Casserole


I'm sure by now it's no secret that Joe and I really enjoy meals with a Mexican flavor profile, and I really like Cooking Light recipes, so the best thing is when they're combined! I liked this Mexican casserole much better than the Rachel Ray Mexican Lasagna, and it's better for you too. The refried beans are a nice touch and make the whole thing taste much richer than it is.

Oh, and I turned on the broiler for a few minutes at the end of cooking because Joe's favorite part of casseroles is the crunchy cheese.

La Bamba Casserole
source: Cooking Light

Ingredients
  • 1 (5.25-ounce) can whole green chiles, drained
  • Cooking spray
  • 1 pound ground turkey breast
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 2 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained (like Rotel)
  • 2 cups frozen whole-kernel corn, thawed
  • 1 (16-ounce) can fat-free refried beans
  • 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 cup chopped tomato (I omitted)
  • 1/2 cup chopped green onions
Preparation

Preheat oven to 375°.

Cut green chiles in half lengthwise. Arrange chiles in a single layer in an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray.

Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add turkey, onion, chili powder, cumin, salt, and garlic; sauté 5 minutes, stirring to crumble. Add diced tomatoes; cook 5 minutes or until liquid evaporates.

Spoon turkey mixture over chiles. Top with corn. Carefully spread beans over corn. Sprinkle cheese over beans. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes; top with chopped tomato and green onions.

Yield: 6 servings

Calories: 344 (28% from fat), Fat: 10.7g (sat 6.3g,mono 2.9g,poly 0.8g), Protein: 32.2g, Carbohydrate: 30.7g, Fiber: 7.4g, Cholesterol: 77mg, Iron: 3.2mg, Sodium: 902mg, Calcium: 269mg

5 comments:

Kelsey said...

This looks great. I'm going to have to make this and compare to my Cooking Light chicken enchilada casserole. I think I'll like this one better. Thanks for sharing!

Liz said...

This looks awesome! And seriously, is there anything better than crunchy cheese? I think not.

Colleen said...

This looks so delicious (as usual). I just left you an award on my blog!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Yum! As much as RR irks me, she does have some good recipes and this one looks wonderful!

That Girl said...

The nice thing about your background is I trust your Mexican taste!