Monday, September 22, 2008

Tomato Basil Bread


Friday afternoons tend to be a good time for baking and cooking for me. Ever since I bought the bread machine for $15 off of Craigslist, we haven't bought bread at the grocery store, so when the bread runs out, it's time to make some more. I came across this recipe, and it sounded like a nice change from French bread, wheat bread, and jalapeno cheese bread. Besides, I could see it going so well with the dishes on this week's menu: chili, black bean soup, penne with shrimp and tomato cream sauce.

I was unprepared for how incredibly delicious this would smell when it started baking. Oh my goodness. It's a smaller loaf than what I normally make, but it's perfect for toasting a few slices and then melting some mozzarella cheese over for a little snack. It tastes like pizza but without the massive disaster (see previous entry).

Tomato Basil Bread
(Source: Brooke at ...And A Cookie For Dessert)

1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1/4 cup warm milk
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon onion powder
1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
1 teaspoon dried marjoram (I omitted)
1 teaspoon dried thyme
3 cups all-purpose flour
1-3/4 teaspoons active dry yeast

In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in the order suggested by manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).

2 comments:

Jenn and Neena Mae said...

I think I may make this purely for the way it will make my apartment smell!

Love your blog header. did you design it yourself?

~Amber~ said...

It looks delicious. I bet the smell was amazing.