Sunday, August 3, 2008

Neighborhood Spotlight: Las Paletas

We love our neighborhood, and in the spirit of keeping it local, I will occasionally be profiling a local food-related business here.


Las Paletas sells popsicles, but these are not the high-fructose corn syrup "grape" flavored popsicles that I grew up eating by the pool. These are made with real fruit. There is no sign on the outside of the building, but you will know that you're getting close when you see couples, groups of students, and moms with strollers crossing the street, popsicle in hand, to take a stroll in Sevier Park. The daily menu is written on a giant chalkboard with "creamy" milk-based popsicles on one side and fruity popsicles on the other.

When we first moved to the neighborhood, I think Joe and I visited Las Paletas probably 8 times in one month. At $2.50 a pop (Oh, I kill myself), it's cheaper than getting ice cream, gelato, or even coffee most places. The above photo features the chocolate chip cookie popsicle (Joe's) and the peach popsicle (mine). All of their fruit flavors taste like the real deal. Peach tastes like a peach, not like a peach Jolly Rancher. Trying to remember the flavors I've had: raspberry pineapple, hibiscus, lime, and blackberry strawberry are the ones I can come up with off the top of my head.

It's not unusual to see one or both of the Paz sisters who run the place working behind the counter, and you have the chance to see them on Throwdown with Bobby Flay on August 13th. I know who we'll be rooting for, especially after the Loveless Biscuit Lady lost last year!

Las Paletas
(615) 386-2101
Located on the NW corner of 12th Ave S and Kirkwood
Tuesday-Saturday 12-7

1 comment:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

What a great post! I'm a big advocate on supporting local food businesses and reading about them. Las Paletas sounds like a wonderful place offering some unique and true flavors. :)